Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Newest Hobby


Much to the dismay of my wife, I have began the hobby of guns and shooting.  I blame my father-in-law (Chap) and brother-in-law (Trevin) for the most part.  They both have been hunting and shooting their entire life, and since I do enjoy spending so much time with them I naturally became interested also.

My first gun was given to me my Tiffany’s Papaw Kincaid.  It is a .22 rifle that was refurbished by him.  After this I bought myself a 12 Gauge Shotgun for hunting and shooting sport clays with my first pay check.  Lately, I have been “itching” for a pistol.

I began doing my research…I thought, “Hey I will get a 9mm; that is what you always hear people talk about in movies and it is what the police and military use”; “if a 9mm is what the police and military use, then surely a novice shooter and average citizen (me) needs that too.  After doing my research on the 9mm, I soon realzied that both the ammo and the pistols themselves are pretty pricey for someone who is just learning and wants to shoot a lot.  Trevin then suggested buying a .22 Pistol.  Not only is the ammo dirt cheap, but the pistols are much cheaper.  Also the .22 Pistol has a very low recoil which makes them ideal for a novice shooter who is learning.   Plus, my wife is relieved that we will not be spending an “arm and a leg” on yet another expensive hobby of mine.  So, I’ve decided to go with a Ruger 22 45 with 5.5 in Bull Barrel. 


Below I’ve listed 3 reasons why I believe it is a good idea to be proficient with a gun:

1.    Self Defense: If someone is threatening my family I want to be able to do all I can protect them.
2.    As a male it’s inherent to our nature to like guns: From Cowboys to GI Joe little boys see their heros shooting guns.  To be able to shoot a real gun is a pretty cool feeling.
3.    The Zombie Apacalyplse: When hords of the undead are roaming the streets I want to be able to fend them off.  Come on folks we all know it’s not a matter of if but when.

No comments:

Post a Comment